Links to important resources - Guidelines & FAQS
for medical imaging professionals and owners, managers of imaging diagnostic center in India
1a. What do the latest amendments add to the Act?
1b. What was the need for such an Act?
2. What is sex selection?
3. How does the PC & PNDT Act relate to medical professionals?
4. Is the Act then against technology?
4a. What are the various types of pre-natal diagnostic techniques, tests and procedures?
5. What are the commonly used techniques for sex selection?
6. Where can these tests be conducted?
7. Who can conduct these tests?
8. When can the medical practitioners use pre-conception and pre-natal diagnostic techniques?
9. Can a medical professional perform pre-natal diagnostic techniques on a pregnant woman without her consent?
10. Is there any test where informed consent is not required?
11. What is the procedure for registering a Genetic Clinic, Counselling Centre or a Laboratory?
12. What is the registration fee and if there is more than one USG machine how much is the fee?
13. What if the application for registration is rejected? When can one reapply?
14. If a GCC, GL or GC or medical professional has any grievance against any AA where should he/she lodge the complaint?
15. If a unit adds a new machine, is it to be registered again for Rs. 3,000?
16. Can portable ultrasound machines be carried in vehicles in emergencies?
17. If the owner of a GC has a portable machine in addition to stationary machines, what is the registration process?
18. Can non-allopathic medical professionals perform USG?
19. If a USG machine is in a Genetic Centre but is packed and not in use does it require registration?
20. If a registered clinic is handed over to another person, does the registration continue?
21. What is the validity of the registration certificate?
22. How does an owner renew the registration?
23. What if there is no communication from the AA regarding renewal?
24. How many types of records are to be maintained?
25. For how long do the records have to be maintained?
26. What are the offences under the Act?
27.What are the punishments under the Act?
28. If the owner is convicted under the Act and undergoes punishment, what is the status of the registration of his unit?
29. Who can be punished under the Act?
30. What is the Code of Conduct to be followed by all persons employed in GCC, GL, GC, Ultrasound Clinics and Imaging Centres ?
Annexure I : The infrastructural registration requirements of various imaging diagnostic units
Annexure II : Minimum requirements to conduct pre-natal diagnostic tests for reasons other than sex selection
Annexure III : Indicative Checklist for Registration of a Genetic Clinic, Counselling Centre, USG Centre, Imaging Centre
Annexure IV : DECLARATION OF PREGNANT WOMAN / DECLARATION OF DOCTOR/PERSON CONDUCTING ULTRASONOGRAPHY/ IMAGE SCANNING
Annexure V : FORM OF APPLICATION FOR REGISTRATION OR RENEWAL OF REGISTRATION OF A GENETIC COUNSELLING CENTRE/ GENETIC LABORATORY/GENETIC CLINIC/ULTRASOUND CLINIC/IMAGING CENTRE
Annexure VI : FORM FOR MAINTENANCE OF RECORDS BY THE GENETIC COUNSELLING CENTRE
Annexure VII : FORM FOR MAINTENANCE OF RECORDS BY GENETIC LABORATORY
Annexure VIII : FORM FOR MAINTENANCE OF RECORDS IN CASE OF A PREGNANT WOMAN BY GENETIC CLINIC/ULTRASOUND CLINIC/ IMAGING CENTRE
Annexure IX : FORM OF CONSENT (For invasive techniques)Accreditation standards for medical imaging services